Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Pegasus

Well, I haven't progressed very much on my nativity and I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I've kind of lost interest in the project for the moment.  So, instead of plodding on ahead I have decided to take a detour and work on something else for a while. 

Tip from the Stump: if you reach a point on a carving where you lose interest, do not push through to the end and finish it.  If you do, you will most likely end up with an unsatisfactory piece since you rushed too fast to get it done.  Take a break and work on something else for a while, and when your interest returns, get back to the project and finish it with the care and detail that it deserves.

My carving mentor Lynn Doughty has started working on a cowboy horse on his blog and it got me to thinking.  I've done quite a few horses in my short carving career but I'm wondering, what if I took off the saddle and bridal and put on a lovely set of wings?  That would be keeping with my medieval or fantasy series that I have been interested in as of late, so I decided to give it a try and see where it takes me.  Now don't worry, I'll get back to the nativity soon enough, before Christmas I hope, but in the meantime, I hope you will follow along on this little side trip with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment