Monday, April 25, 2011

Contest Results

First of all, I need to apologize about not having posted in a while.  I have just started a new job that takes me away from home for days at a time, and I have been very busy.  I hope that things settle down soon so that I can get back to posting, and more importantly, carving.  I hope that you will stick around in the interim.

Next, I would like to thank all of you that sent in your ideas for a beginning-carver project.  All of the ideas were fantastic and it was difficult to make a choice, but in the end I had to make a decision.  After considering all of the entries and the benefits that each project would give to a beginning carver, the idea that I settled on was carving a study stick, an idea sent in by Keith Stewart. 

CONGRATULATIONS KEITH!!!  YOU WIN!!!

For those of you who may not know, a study stick is a practice piece where one carves multiple faces in the blank at various stages of completeness.  It is a step-by-step study of the needed cuts to complete the details of the face.  I believe that this project will give a beginning carver the confidence and practice that he/she needs to tackle what is arguably the most difficult part of a caricature to carve, the face.  It will also give the more seasoned carver some great practice and a chance to maybe try something different with faces.

I hope to get started soon on this new tutorial and I hope that you will follow along.  No, I take that back.  I hope that you will CARVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment