Saturday, July 9, 2011

Thought I'd Give it a Try

I've been making a lot of knives and I got a wild hare.  What would happen if I tried forging my own palm gouge.  So, I got myself a nice piece of tool steel, heated it up, banged on it with a hammer, and ground it down to shape.  Here's what I came up with:



It's all hardened, polished, and sharp.  I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet, but I did try it out on some end grain.  Sliced through it like hot butter and left a shiny burnished cut.  I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.  I think I'll have to make a few more.

I haven't forgotten about the Study Stick Tutorial.  I'm working away at it and the first part should be posted sometime next week, so look for it.  Thanks for stopping in and having a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment