Saturday, August 18, 2012

Four Palm Tools Available

Well, I decided that I would make a few of my new palm gouges that I have been making available available for purchase.  I have been having a great time making and using a set for myself, so I thought that I would spread the fun and sell a few.  Besides, I just purchased a new mini lathe in order to turn the handles and I need to pay for it somehow (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)!

I use O-1 high carbon tungsten-vanadium alloy tool steel that I harden and temper to approximately RC58 for the business end.  For the handle, I chose a variety of beautiful, exotic woods.  I had a great time exploring the artistic side of my brain by matching ferrules to the different woods.  The ferrules are made of copper that I use various techniques to give color and patina to the piece.  When all three pieces are assembles, it makes for a wonderful combination.  The best thing about them though, is how they glide through wood and make gorgeous little ribbons.  Now that's what I'm talking about!






The handles of the above pictured are as follows from top to bottom: Honduras Rosewood, Zebrawood, Wenge, and Padauk.  They turned out very striking indeed.  Go to my Knife Gallery page and scroll to the bottom to take a better look at each one with links to more photos, or to purchase your favorite one.  Happy Carving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment