Saturday, November 17, 2012

Not for Wood

I thought that I would try something a little more involved that the usual carving knife.  These knives were significantly more challenging, but were incredably fun to make.  Custom knives of this quality sell for hundreds of dollars from a number of custom manufacturers.  Maybe some day I'll get into that racket.

The first knife pictured here is a hunting/skinning knife made of O1 steel, O1 bolsters, brass handle pins and apricot wood handle scales.  The spine of the knife has file work of my own design and the edge is deeply hollow ground for an exceptionally sharp cutting edge.  I've held a lot of knives as you can imagine, but this knife just feels amazing.  It was well worth the time it took to make it.  I can't wait to give it a try in the field.





This next knife is a paring knife that I made for my sweet wife.  Also made of O1 steel, hollow ground blade, brass handle pins, and padauk wood handle scales.  I went with a nice satin finish on this little gem, which I really think adds to the overall look of the knife.  As you can see in the second picture, the tang is fully tapered and the bolsters are zero clearance.  The handle has a belly on the bottom as well as the sides for a wonderful grip and feel.  It's already seen work in the kitchen and cuts like nothing you can buy at the department store.  I already have plans to make my sweetheart a whole kitchen set.  I'll be sure to post pictures when the set is complete.





Thanks for taking time to look at my latest knife making adventures.  I have also just posted a handful of new carving knives if you would like to hop over to the Knife Gallery page.

No comments:

Post a Comment