Monday, March 28, 2011

My Latest Knife

It's been a while since I last posted.  I've been awful busy the last couple of weeks getting the yard cleaned up for spring and working on the list of "Honey Do" projects that just seems to keep growing.  Why is that I wonder?  Because of my busy schedule, I haven't had much time to dedicate to carving.  I have made a little headway on my knight; the head is done and the body is underway.  I also found out that my friend lost his horse of many years, so I put my knight on hold for awhile so that I can carve him a horse to show him my sympathy.  I'll take a few pics and get them posted to the Carving Bench page.

I did manage to fill a knife order last week for a customer, and I have to admit, it's probably the most beautiful knife that I have produced.  The octagonal-dolphin-shaped handle is made out of apricot, and the grain was just amazing.  Here are a picture of the knife:



There are a few more pics in the Knife Gallery page, just scroll all the way to the bottom.  You don't see that kind of grain very often, but when you do, it sure is a wonder to behold.  I still have a few more knife handle blanks of this apricot left and if they produce handles half as nice as this one, I will be pleased.

I've been kicking around ideas for another tutorial.  I received some good feedback from the Archer Bust Tutorial, and though that it would be fun to start another one soon.  If you have some ideas that you would like to have me entertain, leave a comment or send me an email.  Several have said that the Archer was too advanced for them.  Would you rather see something more simple; a beginner's tutorial perhaps?  Or would you rather see something more complicated?  Or maybe, just another bust of some interesting character?  Let me know if you have any ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment