Friday, March 4, 2011

The Peasant

Here's a little bust that I did before starting on the next big project.  He's kind of simple, but he was a fun little study.



I do have a confession to make.  When I started carving the head, I thought that I would carve a knight with a big mustache and a huge grin on his face.  In my zeal to carve the smile, I forgot what I was doing and took off too much wood with out leaving enough wood for the mustache.  So, the knight turned out to be a peasant.  Just goes to show that even when a carving takes a different turn from where you intend it to go, good things can still come out in the end.

Tip from the Stump:  when you make a mistake, and believe me you will, don't throw your carving in the fireplace, take another look at it and make the best of things.  Serendipity is on your side.

There are a lot more pictures in the Picture Gallery.  Stop in and take a look.

1 comment:

  1. Talk about getting a demotion. The poor guy slipped while shaving and goes from a knight to a peasant...what a bummer:-) !

    ReplyDelete